Thursday, August 18, 2011

The Little Things

Last week my mother-in-law was in town.  We took a trip downtown to do some sightseeing which coincided with an audition that I had that afternoon.  She was much more excited to get to tag along to an audition than see any of the sights in downtown Dallas! 

She sat outside and waited as I did a "couples" commercial audition for a restaurant chain.  She was fascinated by all of the actors coming through and the process of it all.  Living in rural Pennsylvania, she had never experienced anything quite like that and so enjoyed a glimpse into the day to day of being an actress.

Seeing the audition process anew through her eyes really makes me appreciate what I do all over again.  It's so easy to get bogged down at times but as Steven Pressfield writes in "War of Art", it's better to be in the arena getting stomped by the bull than to be in the stands watching...or worse yet, in the parking lot.  I love the arena, it's sights and sounds.  Sometimes, when I'm in there with the bull, I get the horns.  But once in a while, I hear an "ole" and know that I'm right where I've always wanted to be.

I have a callback from that audition this weekend - and I plan to take the bull by the horns and enjoy my time in the arena.

Keep on keeping on.

0 comments:

Post a Comment