Friday, June 24, 2011

The Dry Spell Goes On

OK, it's been 40 days since my last audition, FORTY DAYS!!!  WTH?

So, what's a girl to do?  I can complain about it and get frustrated by it, but really none of that will do any good.  For the most part, it's out of my control.  I've been getting as much work on the side as I can and taking care of the business end of things.  But ultimately most of my real auditions come through my agent and this is one of the longer dry spells I've had.

There are a few things I've learned that have helped me through dry spells in the past. It's time to pull them out again. 

1.  Realize that it happens.  There are slow times of the year.  There are also times when your "type" may not be in demand. 

2.  Call or e-mail your agent.  Let them know you're still around and ready to work.  Sometimes you just have to let them know that you're getting anxious and it will jar things loose a bit.

3.  Dry spells are a great time to collect your thoughts, take a breather, read a book, update your expenses and do all of the things you don't have time for when you're auditioning regularly. 

4.  Make your own auditions. The last thing you want to happen during a dry spell is to lose your acting chops.  Pull out old material that you've auditioned with in the past, learn a new monologue, turn on your video camera and give it your best.  Watch your playback and learn. 

5.  Network with other actors.  Set up some lunch dates.  Maybe they are going through dry spells too.  Networking is such an important thing that often gets overlooked in busy times. 

Good luck with your dry spell.  I'm hoping mine comes to an end VERY SOON.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I am a new follower and very happy that I discovered your blog.

    http://www.ourbananamoments.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ourbananamoments

    Marsha

    ReplyDelete