Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Well, Hello Nerves!

The curse has ended, I FINALLY had an audition today.  It was my first in, uh, 47 days.  Which is officially one of my longest dry spells ever. 

Up to this point, I've been auditioning consistently around three times a week with very few breaks.  Which naturally kept my bookings pretty consistent too.  Thankfully the dry spell hasn't completely wrecked havoc on my bookings as I've gotten quite a few jobs on my own.  But it has apparently rattled my auditioning skills a bit!

I started getting butterflies the minute I pulled into the parking lot.  This is a casting director that I don't get in front of often and casts a lot of the bigger jobs in town.  After signing in I found out that I would be reading with one of the girls from my agency.  She is a very sweet girl and one that I count among my friends in this business.  We often go up against each other for the same parts but have never actually read together for anything. 

Many people would be comforted to work with someone they already know, but not me.  I'd prefer to audition with a stranger any day over someone that I know.  I'm not quite sure why but it's always made me a little self-conscious to audition with the other girls from my agency. 

Well, long story short, the above factors, combined with the fact that the client was in the room, conspired against me and the butterflies carried over into the audition.  I think I did a pretty good job of controlling it and managed to give a decent performance.  Nothing spectacular.  I forced myself to breathe deeply and slow down when we were in the scene and that helped a lot. 

I wonder if I'll ever be immune to nerves.  It seems like they've been sneaking up on me a lot the past six months.  Just when I think I have them licked, BAM!  There they are again.  Well, hello nerves! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment