Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Hideous

Tonight as my six year-old daughter and I were relaxing on the porch swing, she was chirping along in a continuous stream of thought about what she wanted to be like when she grew up.  She said "I hope I don't grow up to be ugly."  I assured her that she didn't have to worry about that and told her that she's beautiful now and always will be.  She then added that she wants to grow up to look just like LaLa.  LaLa (or Lauren) is her 25 year-old cousin, my niece, and is drop-dead gorgeous, by the way.  See for yourself!


   
My feelings were slightly hurt, I really wished that she would've said she wanted to grow up to look like me.  So I baited the hook and asked if she did.  She said "No, mommy, that is not possible because I have blonde hair and would look hideous with brown hair like yours."  I started laughing and asked her if she thought I looked hideous.  Thankfully she didn't hesitate to say no but then added in her sassiest tone "but that mole on your forehead between your eyes looks hideous.  Can't you pop it or something?  That thing GOTS TO GO!".

OUCH. Maybe I should go ahead and get that taken care of? I've actually been contemplating calling the dermatologist for the past month to get it removed.  He told me a few months ago that he wanted to take it off but I had a print shoot coming up and couldn't do it then.  He said that it could wait and was nothing sinister.  Just unsightly.  Apparently hideously so, according to a six year-old who doesn't want to grow up to look like her mom. 

Call me vain, shallow, fragile, whatever.  Kids are brutally honest.  Out of the mouths of babes! It can't hurt to listen.  :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment