Thursday, May 12, 2011

Acting for a Higher Purpose

Lately a realization has hit me pretty hard.  Acting leaves me feeling pretty empty.  It's all so self-gratifying and just leaves me wanting more and more.  The bookings give me a great high at the time but then I crash and want more and bigger jobs.  It's a vicious cycle of dissatisfaction. 

The only time performing doesn't make me feel that way is when I do it at church.  It's always a very uplifting experience because it's not about me.  I leave feeling refreshed, energized and closer to God. Not dissatisfied, hollow and chasing after the next thing. 

Which brings me to where I am right now, wanting to use my gifts to bless others.  I want to use my performing skills for some higher purpose.  The problem is that I have NO idea what that is.  One cause that I've always felt drawn toward is helping adolescent girls gain confidence through presentation skills, especially girls from dysfunctional or underprivileged backgrounds.  I'm just not quite sure what this all looks like yet. 

I'm going to keep praying about it, it's on my heart for a reason.  Stay tuned and let's see what comes of it!

0 comments:

Post a Comment