Sunday, May 29, 2011

Local Celebrity

As an actor, one of things we all love is attention, right?  Well, not necessarily.  I love to perform and be creative and put my all into what I do.  The one thing I've never been comfortable with though, is the attention that sometimes comes along with it.  Maybe I'm just weird. 

Earlier this year, I booked a nice little role in a biographical film that's shooting locally.  The past few weeks, shooting has been taking place for the promotional trailer. Coincidentally, the film's star and I live in the same small suburb.  We had never met prior to being cast in this project. 

Because we live in a small town, word spreads fast among neighbors.  It got through the grapevine to the local newspaper and I was asked to be interviewed about the project.  Immediately I felt uncomfortable with the attention but agreed to do the interview anyway. It ran in the paper the next week and that's when the fun began. 

Neighbors asked for autographs, parents at my kids' schools and sports made a point to ask about it, an announcement was made at a meeting I attended, people came up to me at a neighborhood event to comment.  For a person who has tried to blend in and fit in my entire life, it just felt like a little too much. 

Part of the reason is that I simply don't feel like I deserve it.  I've never been one to give myself credit  and nothing I do ever feels like it's good enough.  Yeah, I know that's a perfectionist's personality flaw and something I need to get past.  Maybe I sound ungrateful.  There are probably many people out there that would love to have this problem. 

The fact is, if this is something that I want to pursue, I have to find a way to get comfortable with it.  I have to start believing in myself a little more and find a way to get ok with the attention that comes along with it. 

Maybe that's the next lesson to be learned in this part of my journey.  If you have any advice to share, please let me know in the comments!  


Me as the character in 60's attire.


6 comments:

  1. So fun! I think your blog is a GREAT idea. I don't know any actors, so it will be fun to watch your experiences and (hopefully) rise to fame. :)

    Thanks for visiting A Helicopter Mom! I'm following you back on FB, twitter and Google Reader.

    Thanks for joining our Alexa Hop too! :)

    Thanks!
    Mickey
    A Helicopter Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no real original advice but I'm now reminded of one of the lessons Oprah highlighted on her farewell show. She said there is a difference between thinking we deserve something better, vs. KNOWING that we are WORTHY of it. Only then, she says, can we open ourselves up and truly receive the blessing/s.

    Good luck! (found you through the alexa hop)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it, Joy. That quote is going up on my vision board. Thanks for stopping by.

    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Mickey! I've been loving The Helicopter Mom.

    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi - visiting your blog for the first time. Found you via One Moment In Time linky.

    I think if it's something you want to pursue, you need to probably accept that this comes with the territory and learn to embrace it. Easier said than done, huh?

    http://junkernewbie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I discovered you, wait, that probably doesnt mean much to you does it... ;-) I am your newest follower. LOVE the site! Hope you get a chance to hop over and see me. I have lots of giveaways and deals posted. At least TEN more this week. Try to keep up! Come save money with me and get some great freebies too!
    Stay Fabulous~Chara@ NothingButFabulousity

    ReplyDelete