Monday, May 23, 2011

Do Something Every Day

On February 19th, I made a commitment to myself.  I would do something for my acting career every day for six months, no matter what.  Even if I felt like giving up and the world was completely against me (which has happened), I would still keep pressing on. 

Well, I'm half-way through that goal and have done pretty well with it.  The results have been tangible.  My bookings have increased, the business side of my career is the most organized it's ever been but most importantly I feel like I'm doing my part and becoming a better performer.  As a wise teacher once told me, if you're relying 100% on your agent to advance your career, you're making a big mistake. 


So, what kinds of things am I doing every day?  Well there's the obvious, auditioning, although that's not happening every day.  I have to dig around a bit to find daily activities but it's been fun and challenging.  Here are some of the things that I've been doing:

  • Choosing challenging scripts that are outside my comfort zone and working on them.
  • Going to auditioning class once a week.
  • Sending handwritten notes to casting directors, directors and others in the industy that I've worked with.
  • Reading acting books.
  • Blogging!
  • Working on my web site.
  • Updating my resume.
  • Trying to find an agent in a different state.
  • Putting together my agent submission package showcasing all of my best work.
  • Working on a new demo reel.
  • Meeting with my agent to discuss my next steps.
  • Updating my IMDB profile.
  • Putting myself on camera to evaluate my work.
  • Working for free when I can to get more experience.

And I'm sure there are more.  If you look for something to do every day, you can certainly find it.  If you're not looking for something to do every day, well, someone else is.  Acting is hard work and it's not work you do only when you get an audition once in awhile.  I've found that the ones who are working the most and getting ahead are those that are almost obsessive about it. 

Are you obsessive about your career?  I am.  Force yourself to be obsessive for six months and see what happens. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment