Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Longest Mile

The longest mile was the first mile I ran on my treadmill today.  I was tired, frustrated and wanted nothing more than to just give up.  I seriously thought about quitting. 

But I mustered the energy to keep going.  I backed my pace off a bit for a minute.  Then I pressed forward and it got easier.  Before I knew it, my run was accomplished.

If I had quit, it would've felt better in the moment.  But I would've felt terrible about myself the rest of the day.  I needed that accomplishment but even more so, I needed the process.  The process of setting my mind to sticking with it no matter how bad it felt.  The process of working through the pain until it got easier.  The backing off for a minute and the decision to press forward with all my might. 


That's where I am with acting right now.  Even though I could spare myself further pain if I just quit, I would never have the accomplishment.  More importantly, I'd be missing out on the process.  That's where the true character, strength, determination and grit are found.

I have an audition this afternoon.  I've seriously considered not going.  But it's time to get back on the horse and press on.  Even if I don't book it, it's part of the process.  And that's what I need more than anything right now.

0 comments:

Post a Comment