Friday, May 6, 2011

I'm an Actress. No, really.

Today at Target, the check-out girl asked me if I had "big plans" this weekend.  I enthusiastically replied "I do!  I'm shooting a film!"  She gave me a perplexed look before saying "you're what?".  I repeated myself but the confused look didn't budge.  Finally she asked what exactly I'd be doing at the film shoot, to which I proudly replied "I'm an actress".  The look of confusion deepened as she muttered a simple "Oh." 

I wasn't offended, actually I'm kind of amused by it.  This is really a pretty typical reaction.  I'm not exactly sure where it comes from although I have a few ideas.  It could be that I live in Dallas where you don't really hear much about films or actors. I can imagine the conversation would go down a little differently in L.A.  Or maybe it's that I'm over 35, a mom of three and don't wear make-up or get out of my yoga clothes most days.  Maybe they wouldn't be so surprised if I were some young, ingenue-type looking for my break. 

But I'm not.  I'm a woman with a family, a full-time job and a dream.  Many just can't wrap their brains around all of that.  Oh sure, there are many people I meet that are absolutely fascinated by what I do and want to know everything about it.  But it's really not uncommon for me to get the perplexed look.

I have to laugh it off.  I know I have an impossible dream and I'm kind of crazy for following it.  You have to be a little crazy.  But it's my dream and it's never too late to pursue it. 

No matter what check-out girls at Target (and others) may think.  :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment